Thursday, September 9, 2010

A taste of things to come


Since doing a cupcake class with the wonderful Cathie from melbourne epicure a couple of weeks back I've been a little obsessed. Not only with making cupcakes but with playing around with recipes.
 I've had no complaints about my red velvet but I think they still need a little tweaking. 


I'm attempting to keep my cakes low fat and healthy for little munchkins but still tasty.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would reach for a chocolate cupcake over carrot, but I promise you, these are REALLY good. Thumbs up all round. I suppose you could even have two!! If I was being totally honest I would admit that I just wanted a healthy cake option so I could load up the cream cheese icing.


Carrot cupcakes




Ingredients


    • 225g self-raising flour
    • 1 tsp mixed spice
    • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    • 75g sultanas
    • 50g brown sugar
    • 115g grated carrot
    • 1 TBsp olive oil ( I would have replaced this with apple sauce, but was all out)
    • 2 eggs, lightly whisked
    • 250g yoghurt

  • Cream-cheese frosting


    I have to be honest, I didn't measure my ingredients for this.
    I just beat the cream cheese I had and added icing sugar until I got the right consistency, with a drop of vanilla essence. In hind sight I would probably just squeeze in some lemon juice.

Crushed walnuts

Method



    1. Preheat oven to 160°C (fan forced). 

    2. Line twelve 80ml muffin pans with paper cases. ( My mix made 12 "normal" size plus 10 minis. 

    3. Sift the flour, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Stir in sultanas, sugar and carrot. Make a well in the centre.
    4. Whisk together the yoghurt, egg and oil in a jug. Pour into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Spoon mixture among cases. Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centres comes out clean. Transfer to a rack to cool.
    5. To make frosting beat cheese and icing sugar until smooth and stir through vanilla essence
    6. Spread cakes with cream-cheese frosting and dress with crushed walnuts.
    7. Eat and enjoy
    8. Try to stop at just 1

   
Bonus : They get Sadie's seal of approval!!!


For every success there is a failure. I had my very first attempt at making Macarons. BIG FAIL!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Can we see pics of the said disaster? I don't know if I would bother with macarons. They scare me! x

    ReplyDelete