Thursday, September 15, 2011

the last of the shit start (or Part 3)

So about 10 minutes after I burst into tears as soon as I saw P's parents, P arrived with the news that at that point in time the airline actually had no idea where our bags were.  


Remember earlier when I told you about the new bra with the hurty underwire? I was 
almost ready to pull that underwire out to stab someone but what could I do, we headed
to the car park and tried to find the car. I didn't even have the energy to be annoyed as 
we went up and down a few times to locate it. We finally found the car and I breathed a
sigh of relief, just a short drive home and I could finally get some much needed sleep.

Or so I thought.

As we climbed into the backseat with P and I either side of Sadie we were told that 
by law you are not required to wear a seatbelt. I buckled up anyway and I'm glad I did. 
The drivers here are crazy and apparently even though the speed limit on the freeway
is 120, everyone does at least 140!!!!
So for the hour and a half drive (short drive, my arse!!!)  could feel myself drifting in and 
out of sleep, with my arms across Sadie's car seat the whole time, with a false sense of reassurance that if something happened at 140 km/hr my arm alone would save her.

When we finally got to Pombal, I seriously thought about kissing the ground, but knew 
that once I was down I wasn't getting back up. Sadie had fallen asleep in the car so I carried her up the two flights of stairs put her straight to bed and took dibs on the first shower.
All I wanted was clean pj's but because they were possibly still flying over the Indian Ocean, I showered and turned my leggings and tank top inside out and after attempting to eat I headed for bed as I had lost all ability to chew, let alone communicate.

I would love to say I slept for 12 hours and woke up refreshed and revived but the little princess awoke from her slumber at about 4 a.m. 
6 hours sleep was better than nothing, I pulled out the ipad  and while she watched a movie I dozed a bit longer, I finally got up still weary but I knew that it was all up from here.

I had a (free) room with a view, a fridge full of food, clean undies and a purse full of Euro's 
that I could buy new clothes and toiletries with. 


Time to forget about the more than forgettable trip over, I was finally in Portugal.
I had no concept of what time or day it was but I was ready for some proper Portuguese food, 
shopping and sight-seeing. Any problems had to now solve themselves because I was officially 
on HOLIDAYS!!!!!

FUN TIMES AHEAD

 (Incidentally our luggage tuned up 24 hours after we did!)

3 comments:

  1. What an adventure (that's the polite term!!)
    Happy holidays!!!!!
    Up and up and up.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have your luggage now :) Have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow just read your 3 part post on getting there - boy you were brave to head os with a little one the 3hr flight to QLD was enogh for me :) Looking forward to seeing some snaps

    ReplyDelete